07 January 2011

Come what may and love it!

My Dad has always been so nice to me!  I really can look back and say I don't remember him ever being mean to me.  He has really troubled himself to be an ideal dad for all of his children.  My four brothers and I really have a great Dad!!!  One thing that always gets us laughing is to sit around and reminisce. About a month ago, my Mom's sister Wendy and brother Neil were visiting from Georgia.  It was so fun!!!  I wondered as they left why we got into the past while they were here and listening, and all the pranks, mistakes, and trouble!  But heck, its who we are and we might as well laugh!  We were raised by good parents who did their best to raise us well.  Their best was excellent!  I believe they took the pains to teach us what was right and wrong, to teach us to serve others and to do so by example.  I can remember several Christmases heading over to Sister Bowen's house to put up lights.  Going with my Dad to visit Dale Randall when he fell off a ladder and sustained a brain injury.  Learning from him as he was scoutmaster.  He helped turn his sister's basement into a bedroom for her son.  Dad was always ready to help people out with computer problems.  He has always taken time out to play with my children and show them new things like painting and wind chimes.  I really could go on listing things all day!  


He has been a very loving and kind grandpa too!  I feel so blessed that my children get to have him for their Poppy, stroke or no stroke!  I have mentioned before and I do so again-even with a brain injury, the important things about my Dad are still there.  His heart, his love, his desire to serve and help other people is still whole!  I would say I have been extremely fortunate being raised by such a Dad.  Although I do miss the Dad that was, I love the Dad that is.  He is a beautiful, marvelous person.  As I heard my Aunt Wendy say to my daughter on her recent visit "We can be happy!"  Even though things are different, hard, new, and sometimes strange, we can be happy.  We can look forward with hope and thanksgiving at the future and know it will be bright.  Joseph B. Wirthlin says "Come what may, and love it!"  That is what we try to do, every day. To love whatever comes our way.  To trust in God enough to be thankful for everything that happens to make us stronger and better people.

I believe in Christ; he stands supreme!
From Him I'll gain my fondest dream;
And while I strive through grief and pain,
His voice is heard: "Ye shall obtain."
I believe in Christ; so come what may,
With Him I'll stand in that great day
When on this earth He comes again
To rule among the sons of men.


1 comment: