20 January 2011

Hearts for Dad!

When in the NCCU and fresh out of brain surgery, one doctor said "I beg you for patience."  With brain injuries, they just have no way of knowing what will happen at all.  Including whether he would live or die!  That was hard to wait through. Each day was filled with terribly heavy emotions.  I am thankful for my Allen family and my BFF/soul sister Mish who took great care of my children during those days so that I could be near my Dad and with my Mom as much as possible.  Thank you Lord, for putting such excellent people in my life!

I think the collecting of hearts started with the rock Sam brought in.  He brought in this little stone that came from somewhere and looked like a nature shaped heart.  We got talking about the ribbons and such that we wear to remember people or causes, and we decided that within our family we wanted to collect hearts for that purpose. To remember our Dad in the hospital and to remember to pray for him.  Now I look at them and think it is a perfect symbol for who has always been and for who is he now: a very loving man with a heart as big as the whole outdoors!  Somehow choosing that symbol and then looking for it was something that was very helpful.  We got quite a collection too, and I am sure we will keep adding to it.  He was just laying there day after day and week after week not moving at all and, in a coma so his chest was home to our heart collection for a while.  This photograph of my collection at home doesn't look too amazing, but I left out lots of things for the purpose of having the picture make some sense!

What I have to say now has very little to do with this post, but isn't that "I Am Loved" pin great?!  I love those so much!  I pinned it on the hospital gown he was wearing while he was in a coma and I sure loved seeing it there.  He is loved!  You are too!

A sound heart is the life of the flesh
~Proverbs 14:30

And let the peace of God rule in your hearts
~Colossians 3:15

Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another (and Him!)
~1 John 4:11

GOD IS LOVE

No comments:

Post a Comment